Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyLymphomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Winthrop, WA

I have a lymphoma, my Dad had a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and his Mother had Leukemia. Medical records are hard to find. I also am type 1 diabetic which I've learned runs in families but not in mine - I'm it. Just curious if there is any information trends in families. Thank you VikiBurger

March 19, 2025
 · 
Reactions
MyLymphomaTeam

While lymphoma isn't directly inherited from parents, having a family history does increase the risk of developing the disease. Research shows that people with a first-degree relative (parent or sibling) who has had NHL are about 1.8 times more likely to develop certain types of lymphoma, particularly diffuse large B-cell Show Full Answer

While lymphoma isn't directly inherited from parents, having a family history does increase the risk of developing the disease. Research shows that people with a first-degree relative (parent or sibling) who has had NHL are about 1.8 times more likely to develop certain types of lymphoma, particularly diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). Your family history is particularly relevant - studies have found an increased risk of NHL in people who have first-degree relatives with either Hodgkin lymphoma or leukemia. The risk can be 2-4 times higher for some NHL subtypes when there's a family history of these blood cancers. However, it's important to note that researchers are still working to understand whether these patterns are due to inherited genetic factors or shared environmental exposures within families.

March 19, 2025
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

I have NHL and my mother had leukemia. Although they are different blood cancers, based on the research I have done it increases the chances of a child getting lymphoma.

March 19, 2025
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

There are lots of different types of cancers that have appeared in my immediate family, but I am the first to have a lymphoma diagnosis.. Have read also that it can be more likely if you do have family members diagnosed, but also can be results of autoimmune and lowered immune problems and just genetic DNA mutations that start happening.. at least that is my understanding of what has occurred for me.

March 19, 2025
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

I have B cell lymphoma in remission for 2 yrs.
My sister died years ago at age 35 with leukemia.
My mother's aunt and cousin died years ago with leukemia.
Two of my mother's sisters had other cancers and her father died of esophageal cancer. I am a firm believer that cancer is genetic.
I am 90 years old.

May 7, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Laguna Beach, CA