Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyLymphomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Elkhart, IN

After taking 6 months of chemo for lymphoma, I was told I was in remission. A few months thereafter, I began experiencing severe leg pain-spasms that sometimes causes Charlie horses in my calves and shooting pain that feels like it goes into my hip. The pain is so excruciating that it causes me to yell out loud in pain and even cry. When this pain started, it occurred about 90% in my L leg and 10% in my R leg. After a few months, the pain is primarily in my R leg and
occasionally in both… read more

December 3, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

I may have had something similar to what you're describing. So I'll give a response a try. During chemo I recall complaining that my leg bones hurt and reminded me/ brought back memories of similar pain when I was a growing boy. Apparently that was normal, the "growing pains" After the chemo ended and maybe during (I don't remember the during) chemo I developed severe lower back pain - I'd always had a marginal lower back but this was much worse. I'm pretty much convinced it is a consequence of taking the Prednisone (a steroid), 100 mg a day for 5 days every third week.

[My routine for chemo was one week of steroids, the week of chemo, one week of rest, then it repeated, for 6 months.]

I was prescribed Gabapentin for the pain, a drug that has an effect on the nerves and it worked well. I took that for maybe 3 years after the chemo and now I haven't needed it for awhile. The reason I stopped it was that it was making me nauseous, and I really didn't need it anymore. I haven't taken it for around 6 months now.

I will also add, as I remember things at random; I was experiencing some sort of heart irregularity. A weird beat, started with a good strong beat, then a lesser strength beat, followed my a weak beat, skip a beat and then a strong beat - something like that. Wasn't considered to be serious but it sure made me uncomfortable. The Gabapentin cleared that up too, and it also is still under control.

December 4, 2022
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

Lora,
Hi and welcome to the site. Everyone on here is so kind, helpful and supportive. I have/had DLBCL and had treatments of RCHOP chemo. I've been in remission for about 21 months now. Yes, after chemo I started having severe arm and shoulder pain, bilateral. I went to an Orthopedic Dr and he said it was arthritis etc. It continued to get worse. My Oncologist recommended a rheumatologist and here I have PMR. It's an autoimmune disorder. I have to be on Prednisone for 18months. I've gained 40lbs unfortunately on it but my pain is 90% better! I believe my chemo and the effects caused the PMR. But I'm alive. And I thank God for RCHOP. Good luck with your situation. I hope you find an answer soon!!! Kelly

December 4, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hammonton, NJ

A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Palm Coast, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In