Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyLymphomaTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
December 18, 2022
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their varied experiences with Rituxan combined with chemotherapy regimens like RCHOP, Bendamustine, and CVP, with side effects... Read more

Members shared their varied experiences with Rituxan combined with chemotherapy regimens like RCHOP, Bendamustine, and CVP, with side effects ranging from manageable fatigue and hair thinning to more severe reactions like anaphylaxis, infusion reactions requiring slower drip rates, and long-term complications including breathing difficulties and potential heart issues. Several members offered practical advice for managing treatment, including taking premedications like Zyrtec, Tylenol, and Benadryl before infusions, using anti-nausea medications and ginger tea, considering subcutaneous injections after tolerating the first IV treatment, and scheduling treatments before weekends to allow recovery time for remote work. A recurring theme was the wide variation in individual responses to treatment, the importance of tailoring therapy to each person's unique situation, and the hope that modern cancer treatments offer compared to older regimens, with many members achieving remission despite the challenging side effects.

A MyLymphomaTeam Member

Rituxan and Bendamustine are used for a lot of NHLs. I went to a lot of the LLS's conferences on emerging therapies, from 2009 till the pandemic hit. The last time I went, in my group I hadn't relapsed in 12 yrs, with just Rituxan and CVP. I went thru that 1st treatment with feeling no side effects,, at age 62, My hair got a bit thinner but so what. I worked then too and never called in sick. I heard about Bendamustine around 2015 at the conference, and my Dr was using it then too. I finally relapsed after 14 yrs and had both IV's for the past 6 months, and had my last IV last week. How good are they? I'll let you know in the next few years! (We know Rituxan is good) Bendamustine made me very tired, and I used to have the energy of a kid. I also was itchy some times (Benadryl helped with that), constipated some times, and slept a lot. I had no nausea and had no pain. Bendamustine's list of side effects are huge, so I might have gotten off easy, but it is supposed to do the job and that is what counts. I hope it does! I am no longer working, I retired earlier this yr at age 76. Could I have worked, only if I had too. The day after the IV's I'd feel my best, full of energy. after that one day tired, the next day ok. I get a pet scan the end of Jan, and a Dr appt after, but I now have an appetite again, and that had completely disappeared last spring. So it has worked so far! A positive attitude helps a lot. Mind over matter! Life is precious and worth living!

December 22, 2022
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

I received Rituxan also every three weeks for 6 months. It was a cocktail with several other drugs. I had a port put in my chest (leads to the next person's question about ports), wasn't a big deal putting in, using and removing. I had it removed feeling it would help me move on with my life. The chemo does have it's side-effects, some are even beneficial. Some are not, like chemo brain, memory loss - many such questions are discussed here. And yes, I was pretty much wiped out during those 6 months, and for a long while after. I'm 4 years into remission from NHL.

December 19, 2022
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

Lost all my hair. All of it! It grew back... heard rumor it would grow back better than ever. Nope. But it grew back. Other thing is it appears obvious that Rituxan is given in different ways to each of us. That makes sense and if your oncologist is good they will be tailoring your treatment to your body/situation. None of us are equal when it comes to treatment as cancer is not a common illness like a cold or the flu. I would recommend getting through chemo first, keeping yourself as healthy and rested as possible; if your job sucks, quit it and don't listen to people who say it takes your mind off things - maybe for some it does. Be prepared for a new you when chemo ends.

December 20, 2022
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

Okay thanks. When I had Rituxan last November, it was four treatments. Every Friday for four weeks which worked well so I had the weekend to recover before going back to work. I work remotely so I'm lucky in that regard. Is the treatment schedule about the same? I'm in customer service so not too difficult to do if I'm recovering from the treatments.

December 18, 2022
A MyLymphomaTeam Member

I had Rituxin and Bendamustine. I was fatigued but no nausea or bad side effects.My hair thinned a little but not much to notice.I had trouble going uphill.I had a headache after the treatment.Dr prescribed naproxen.That relieved my pain.I did not lose my appetite. Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.We are all warriors.

December 18, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyLymphomaTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sarasota, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In